Site menu:


Upcoming Events:


Welcome to Great Salkeld Parish Council

For details please contact the Clerk
Mrs Rachel Lytollis
1 Garth Hill
Castle Carrock
Tel: 01228 670451


What is a Parish or Town Council?

There are over 8,700 parish and town councils representing around 16 million people across England. They form the most local level of government and cover many rural and urban areas.

What services can it provide?

A parish or town council has an overall responsibility for the well-being of its local community. Its work falls into three main categories:

  • Representing the local community
  • Delivering services to meet local needs
  • Striving to improve quality of life in the parish
  • A Parish Council might provide and/or maintain some of the following services:
    • allotments
    • burial grounds
    • car parks
    • community transport schemes
    • footpaths
    • bridleways
    • bus shelters
    • commons
    • crime reduction measures
    • leisure facilities

It can also work with Eden District Council and Cumbria County Council for other services, for example:

  • litter bins
  • local youth projects
  • open spaces
  • public toilets
  • planning
  • street cleaning
  • street lighting
  • tourism activities
  • traffic calming measures
  • village greens

How does Great Salkeld Parish Council make decisions?

The Parish Council is made up of a number of councillors who meet regularly to make decisions on the work and direction of the council.  It is responsible to the people it represents – that’s the local community.

Attending a council meeting is the best way to find out what it does. Have a look at our website page to see The Parish Plan and what the Parish Council objectives are for the coming year

Where does the funding come from?

Each year the Parish Council asks for a sum of money, called a ‘precept’ which is collected through your council tax. It also receives money from Eden District Council. This money is used by the Parish Council to improve facilities and services for local people.Parish Councils can also apply for grants and loans when they become available.

What is the role of a Parish Councillor?

  • Attending meetings
  • Bringing parishioners concerns to the attention of the council
  • Representing the needs of the whole community

Could I be a Parish Councillor?

Parish Council elections take place every four years on the first Thursday in May. If a seat becomes vacant mid-term, the council may co-opt someone from a list of volunteers. As a councillor you can become a voice for your community. You need to be a ‘people person’ and have the best interests of the whole parish at heart.Councillors are community leaders and should represent the aspirations of the public that they serve.Great Salkeld Parish Council meet on the first Monday of every month at 7.30 pm, unless it is a Bank Holiday.

The amount of time commitment is usually less than a couple of hours a week. Obviously there are some councillors who spend more time than this – and some less, but in the main, being a Parish Councillor is an enjoyable way of contributing to your community and helping to make it a better place to live and work.

If you are interested in becoming a councillor and require more information, then please contact the Parish Clerk or any of the Parish Councillors.

Great Salkeld Parish Council meets on the first Monday of each month  at 7.30 pm in the village hall (if the first Monday falls on a bank holiday the meeting will be on the second Monday).

The first part of the meeting is an open meeting and any parishioner is welcome to attend to raise or discuss any local issues, subject to Chairman’s discretion.

Our local Eden District Councillor and County Councillor attend the Parish council meetings on a regular basis

Meeting agends and minutes are available on the web site and on the main parish notice board, in the centre of the village , opposite mid town farm. A precis of the minutes is also circulated in connect magazine

Great Salkeld Parish Council Objectives for 2011/2012

  • Improve parish council communication with residents; maximising/ appropriate  use of website, connect, Craic magazine
  • Village shelter
  • Housing strategy ; including consideration of parish housing register
  • Ensure proper scrutiny and consideration of planning applications
  • Give support to village organisations ; especially regarding Queens jubilee celebrations June 2012
  • Highway management and maintenance; including grass cutting/ tendering, bridleways and footpaths, liaison with the highway steward, Himalayan balsam, gritting and storage of gritting machine, Lonin Head Dub
  • Speeding and road safety
  • Intra-parish communication; including parish web site, Craic magazine and village diary, welcome pack and broadband
  • help with above objectives Relocation of notice board and seat at North Dykes
  • Form sub committees of relevant expertise were appropriate from within the Parish
List of contacts:

Councillors and contact details  (as at July 2015)

Sub Committee/ areas of interest

  • Housing; Cllr Robson, Cllr Martin
  • Intra village communication;  Cllr Thompson
  • Highways and Environment; Cllr Carrick, Cllr Martin
  • Finance;  and Clerk
  • Parish concil communication; Cllr Carrick, Cllr Robson,
  • Events; Cllr Thompson, Cllr Martin,
  • Community oil buying group, Carol Mckend
  • Village Hall Trustees; all
  • Village Field Trustees; all, contact Cllr McKend and Cllr Thompson

Other useful contact details

  • Eden Distric Councillor, Gordon Nicholson 01768 898387
  • Councty Councillor, Hilary Carrick 01768 898147
  • MP for Penrith and the Borders Mr Rory Stewart, 02072197127
  • Police non emergency number 101
  • Community dog warden 01768 817817
  • EDC Refuse collection 01768 817817
  • Recycling and council refuse centre Flusco 01768 817817
  • Faulty street lights 01768 817817
  • Highways hot line 0845 609 6609
  • United utilities water 0845 746 2200
  • EDC planning department 01768 817817  Email:
  • Cumbria County Council 01228 606060 Email:
Contact details for village groups and organisations can be found on the Useful Contacts page.